Lukman Faily has served as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Iraq to the United States since May 2013. He has been a high-profile spokesperson for his government, engaging with members of Congress, academia and think tank communities. Regular appearances on TV and radio news and particularly active on social media. Frequently speaks at public events in Washington and across the United States and United Kingdom. He served previously as Iraq’s ambassador to Japan for three years.
Ambassador Faily represents a rising generation of professionals, business leaders and civic activists who have returned to Iraq to help build the country’s fledgling a free-market democracy. He brings to his position extensive experience in diplomacy, leadership, negotiation, stakeholder management, crisis management, political analysis, policy recommendations, strategic planning, communication, business organization management and development, marketing, information technology and civic activism, as well as familiarity with Middle Eastern, oriental and Anglo-American traditions and institutions.
Ambassador Faily lived in the United Kingdom for 20 years and held management and leadership roles in the British affiliates of two American companies for over a decade. An active leader in the large Iraqi diaspora community, Ambassador Faily served as a trustee of several Iraqi NGOs while in the UK. He was an outspoken opponent of Saddam Hussein’s dictatorship and advocated for democracy, dialogue, development and rule of law in Iraq.
Fluent in English, Arabic and Kurdish, Ambassador Faily was born in Baghdad on February 6, 1966. He is married to Lameis Faily and is the father of four boys. An avid runner, Ambassador Faily participated in marathons in Tokyo in 2012 and 2013, and in the Boston and New York Marathons in 2014.
- Ambassador Extraordinary & Plenipotentiary to the United States, May 2013 – Present
- Ambassador Extraordinary & Plenipotentiary to Japan, June 2010 – May 2013
- Ambassador in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Iraq, January 2010 – May 2010
- IT Programme Manager, EDS Ltd. (now Hewlett-Packard), UK, June 2006 – December 2009
- Senior IT Development and Programme Manager, Ceridian Ltd., UK, May 1999 – June 2006
- Technical Manager, Alcone Marketing Group, UK, December 1998 – May 1999
- Project Leader, General Sewing Data Ltd., UK, March 1998 – November 1998
- IT Consultant, The Manchester Academy of English, UK, October 1997 – March 1998
Education and Qualifications
- Postgraduate Diploma in Computing for Commerce and Industry, Nov 2004 – October 2007
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Technology Management, Nov 2003 – April 2006
- BSc Computing Science and Mathematics, Manchester Metro University, Sep 1985 - June 1988
- Membership of the Institute of Project Management (PMP), USA July 2009 - Present